05 January 2006

Stupid nutjob spaceship design



Here is some idiot who says he has designed a magnetism-based spaceship engine that can actually {spooky echo} WARP YOU INTO ANOTHER DIMENSION!!!!{/spooky echo}.

It's hard to even list all the things that are wrong with this from any reasonable scientific point of view. But in particular the article says:

Also, if a large enough magnetic field was created, the craft would slip into a different dimension, where the speed of light is faster, allowing incredible speeds to be reached. Switching off the magnetic field would result in the engine reappearing in our current dimension.

1. I myself would not find it very useful to have my ship powered by an engine which could disappear or reappear at any moment.

2. I assume the engine and ship are made out of, like, matter and stuff. How exactly does this 3D matter-based craft survive going into another dimension intact? Hmm?

3. I love the bit about "a different dimension, where the speed of light is faster". Oh boy. Sign me up! If the speed of light is faster a lot of real bad things are going to happen since I assume that the engine, ship, and inhabitants will still rely on well-behaved photons in order to function.

The writer is obviously scientifically challenged, too. "in our current dimension"??? I guess he means in our current 3+1 spacetime dimensions. Otherwise, oh lucky me, if I am forced to turn one-dimensional, do I get to pick which one?

From slashdot.



UPDATE: What's worse of course is that the government is evidently spending tax dollars looking into this jackass's theory. What do you expect. They put money into parapsychology and "lie detectors" too.