09 February 2009

7 weeks post-transplant surgeon appointment!




Today was the 'big day' after the transplant. Customarily kidney recipients have a checkup by their surgeon 6 weeks after the transplant (for scheduling reasons, mine was at 7 weeks). At OSU, the surgeon is also effectively a nephrologist, so he not only covers the physical surgery but also all the medications, the kidney function, etc. He reviews the last 7 weeks of blood tests (I've had blood drawn twice a week since the transplant) and of vital signs (I've been taking my temperature, pulse, and blood pressure 4 times a day). He goes over medications, symptoms, side effects, etc. This is all in addition to checking the surgical incision, healing, and complications. He also removes any staples or stitches still present, and finally checks out your "pee".



Everything was hunky-dory, folks. My kidney function remains within normal parameters. In other words, the kidney is serving me just as your kidneys are serving you. My blood pressure is beautiful, probably better than yours! As a matter of fact, the doctor instructed me to lower one of my blood pressure meds; it looks like I need less of it, and it has some unpleasant side effects. I asked the doctor about any activity restrictions such as swimming; he examined my scar and told me no restricted activities. I told him that I am feeling great and have even started going back the gym, which he seemed pleased with.

The only minor downsides are as follows: the blood pressure side effects mentioned above, which we are addressing. A little bit of anemia, which is making me a titch weak but which we are also addressing (yay iron!). A little bit of gout, my painful kind of arthritis, which we aren't specifically addressing but which is getting better on its own.

His exact words were "You're doing great". He doesn't want to see me for two more months! I am very pleased by this, and still in amazement at how quickly I'm healing and returning to health.

In modern times, miracles are performed through the agency of human actors.