01 November 2009

NaNoWriMo begins



It's November 1st. I can't waste much time writing blogs: all my words are reserved for National Novel Writing Month. There is a 50,000-word minimum I have to write and a 100,000-word goal I personally have set.

What am I writing?

I thought science fiction would be my genre, but this story has just leapt out to me. I'm writing a young adult fantasy novel. My Twitter-length synopsis is:

In Rha, a world where humans don't belong, Gam & his brothers must learn self-reliance when a shadowy enemy abducts their parents.

My slightly longer elevator pitch is:

In the world of Rha, where humans don’t belong, Gam and his two brothers must learn self-reliance when a shadowy enemy abducts their parents. Through conflicts with emperors, fearsome jeweled behemoths, and allies turned traitor, they discover inner strength and magical wonders. But even if they find their parents in this vast, strange world, will their lives ever be the same?

I'm writing this story not just as a NaNoWriMo writing exercise, but as a direct address to my three sons: Sean, 13; Paul, 10; and Luke, 5. They love stories, and they love my stories, so now they're going to get a long one. I've got 318 words written so far. A mere 49,682 to go. Follow my progress at http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/506825